5. Send out an announcement card:
Question: Has anyone actually tried this? Thoughts?
6. Leave a note.
7. Make it a phone call:
A U.S. soldier captures himself calling his father and telling him he is gay.
10. Practice on your dog first:
Art by Adventures In Gay
11. Say it during a graduation speech:
12. Or during an assembly:
14. Film it:
15. Make it into a YouTube hit:
“I’m going to make another one that says “The last cake was a lie” this weekend. Wish me luck!”
Celebs can get creative as well:
19. Frank Ocean on Tumblr:
R&B singer Frank Ocean came out of the closet on his Tumblr blog, revealing a love affair that he had with a man four years ago.
20. Governor Jim McGreevey of New Jersey paired his resignation speech with his coming out:
21. Lana Wachowski paired coming out with receiving an award:
Lana Wachowski, one half of the sibling duo that directed The Matrix and Cloud Atlas, gave this touching speech about her coming out process as she received the Human Rights Campaign’s Visibility Award.
22. Ellen DeGeneres came out on her own sitcom:
Ellen came out on The Oprah Winfrey Show in 1997. Subsequently her character on the sitcom came out of the closet to her therapist, played by Oprah Winfrey.
23. Janet Mock in “Marie Claire”:
The writer Janet Mock came out as transgender in an issue of Marie Claire.