1. The show will be called “It’s Messy.”
Originally it was called “Mindy.”
2. Kaling will play an OBGYN.
She’s played a doctor before – in Friends With Benefits – a strong contrast to her character Kelly on The Office, whose interests are pretty much limited to celebrities and online shopping.
3. And Kaling’s mother just so happens to be an OBGYN.
She’ll certainly draw inspiration from that.
4. She developed major comedy chops on “The Office.”
She’s known for her role as Kelly Kapoor on NBC’s The Office but she also played a pivotal role behind the scenes, having written more than two dozen episodes and acting as executive producer. (She expected to leave The Office for the new show.)
5. All the important writer/actor/comedian types are super psyched for her. Everyone loves Mindy.
6. Her character is billed as “Bridget Jones-like.”
Reports have said she’ll play a “young Bridget Jones-type doctor who tries to navigate both her personal and professional lives.” I get what they’re going with, but it feels like a slightly dated reference. Bridget Jones’ Diary came out over a decade ago.
7. Bill Hader is in the pilot.
Sadly, he won’t be playing his universally-loved SNL character Stefon. He’ll be playing Kaling’s ex-boyfriend.
8. Oh, Ed Helms will be in it too!
He’ll reportedly play a Wall Street dude who Kaling goes on a date with. Though he’s known for playing nerdy types in The Hangover and on The Office, I can totally see him being great playing a banker guy.