1. That one weird hot week in May.
During which you dress so inappropriately for the temperature, it should be named Sweaty Week. Look out for a lot of untanned legs on display. If you’re under 22, you will be doing exams.
2. And then it gets cold again, and two months of excessively mild weather follows.
4. For a few days you get into the swing of it. You can have Pimm’s!
Pimm’s is nearly as refreshing as beer!
5. And then you run out of work-appropriate hot-weather clothing.
I have worn the longish shorts, and the floaty flowery dress, and the linen trousers. Now what?
6. And the news is all “GUYS, IT IS HOT OUTSIDE!”
7. And you’re like “I KNOW, I HAVEN’T SLEPT PROPERLY IN 10 DAYS!”
Miss you pyjamas.
8. You decide you hate summer and that it’s very unpractical.
Come back mild weather, all is forgiven.
9. Embarrassing sunburn is everywhere.
Remember, the best sun protection is staying inside.
11. Then suddenly, as you’re looking sadly at your wilting geraniums, RAIN STORM.
12. And the news is all “DO YOU KNOW IT’S RAINING?!”
13. Then the dramatic interesting rain is over, and another month of mild begins.
But we BBQ regardless.
15. Just as you are beginning to pack away that one work-appropriate hot-weather outfit for another year, BAM, one weird hot week in September.
16. Then suddenly it’s October and you can wear a coat again, like you will for the next seven months.
Bye summer! See you next year!
Missing you already. <3