1. Arriving at a party.
The invite says 8pm, so you get there at 8pm, right?
2. Going on a date.
You cannot be early for a date. It is the lamest thing you could do. But if you are too late they will not love you. So you plan to be late, actually end up arriving on time, and spend six minutes waiting round the corner to seem cool.
3. Getting to the airport so early that check-in isn’t open yet.
Spending three hours in duty-free is infinitely better than being that person who has to run to the gate. Who can handle that?
4. Going on holiday with a late friend.
They are so slow at everything that travelling with them means you arrive only just in time to be the recommended two hours early for your flight.
5. Having a job interview.
It would be the worst thing in the world to be late. Therefore you are an hour early. So you wait in a coffee shop across the road for 45 minutes.
6. Going to the cinema.
Your friend wants to arrive late to miss the adverts, but the ticket says 7pm, so you get there at 6:55pm just to be sure.
7. Getting to the restaurant first.
“Table for one?”
“No, table for five, thank you.”
The waitress gives you suspicious looks 15 minutes later when you are still waiting alone.
8. When every so often you get overly relaxed and end up being three minutes late.
Crushing guilt. How could you be so rude?
9. The rare times when something out of your control happens and you end up being actually late.
11. Getting to the shops before they open.
Everywhere should open at 9am because that is when the day starts.
12. Trying not to take it personally when your friends are late.
It is just rude, and you should have planned for whatever excuse you are making.
13. Resisting texting your friends to ask where they are until they are at least five minutes late.
14. The many times you arrive before the person you are meeting and have to look busy.
Not being stood up, just chilling on my own, with my phone.
15. It is even worse if you have to wait somewhere outside.
Just sitting on a bench on my own, minding my own business.
16. So much worse if there is nowhere to sit down.
No matter how achy the legs, resist the temptation to sit on the street.
18. THE WORST if it is raining.
But you’re probably pretty organised, so you have an umbrella.
19. When you persuade all your friends to get somewhere early. And then you were wrong, and everyone has to wait.
“But we didn’t have to queue, guys!”