2. 1st Lt. Keith Wolowodiuk returns home and embraces his 5-month-old baby girl, Kaitlyn, and his wife.
3. An elderly woman is carried out of flood waters in 2005 during Hurricane Katrina.
4. The 5th Anniversary of Hurricane Katrina in New Orleans, Louisiana.
5. Brothers Nguyen Van Chuoi (26) and Nguyen VanTrong (22) are held by their father as they suffer the effects of Agent Orange more than 30 years after the war in Vietnam.
The U.S. military sprayed roughly 20 million gallons of Agent Orange between 1961 and 1971 across Vietnam in an attempt to force out the enemy. Much of that contained a toxic gas called dioxin. As a result, a number of severe birth defects and Downs syndrome have plagued Vietnamese children.
6. Twenty seven angels stand down the street from the Sandy Hook School in 2012.
The angels commemorate the lives lost in a school shooting in Newtown, Connecticut.
7. A firefighter stops to give a koala water in the midst of intense fires.
9. Volunteers distributing food to the homeless in the middle of winter in London.
It’s a photo of the charity group Street Souls in 2011. The group distributes food and sleeping bags during the winter.
10. Kelly Holmes celebrating her gold-medal win for the women’s 1,500 metre final in 2004.
11. A town hall meeting to discuss the death of 17-year-old unarmed Trayvon Martin.
12. A group of Haitian amputees, victims of the 2010 earthquake, playing soccer together a year later.
13. A preemie baby grasping their father’s finger.
14. A boy watching as an Iraqi Emergency Response Brigade member searches his home.
The brigade was looking for the boy’s father in 2010, because he was suspected of planting IEDs in Baghdad.
15. An acid burn victim in Pakistan laughing in 2007 after having eye surgery.
She was attacked when she was just 13 years old, after rejecting the advances of her teacher.
16. Carrie Bergonia, mourning the loss of her fiance, firefighter Joseph Ogren, on the twelfth anniversary of the September 11 attacks.
17. A surgeon after a 23-hour (successful) heart transplant.
His assistant is asleep in the corner.
18. Two Carmelite nuns feeding children in the streets of the Philippines in 2012.
19. A young Egyptian protestor throws stones at security forces in Cairo in 2012.
20. A firefighter holds a rescued cat he saved from a flooded home in Cedar Rapids, Iowa.
The floods occurred in 2008.
21. Buddhist nuns perform their religious rituals in front of a large crowd in Myanmar.
22. A sign asking for volunteers in New York over Superstorm Sandy.
23. A truck filled with highly toxic fuel is escorted by police as Greenpeace activists stage a protest.
24. A Christian in Egypt waits for customers, as Egypt’s Christian minority faces constant discrimination.
In a population of more than 80 million, Christians are the minority at just about 10 percent.
25. The Space Shuttle Enterprise flying over New York.
26. Palestinian children play war games during the Muslim holiday Eid al-Fitr.
27. Two men read about the Amish schoolhouse shootings in 2006.
28. A man reacting to the news that his younger brother was killed, reportedly by gang violence.
“That’s my little baby brother,” he told police.
29. A same-sex couple is married at San Francisco City Hall in 2008.
30. Two baby orangutans cling to their mother, while another 3-year-old orangutan kisses her.
- President Obama apologized to Doctors Without Borders for the airstrike that killed 22 people at a clinic in Afghanistan. ›
- The U.S. Coast Guard said it will suspend the search for the crew of El Faro, the cargo ship that went missing in the Caribbean during Hurricane Joaquin last week. ›
- Hillary Clinton says she's "not in favor" of the Trans-Pacific Partnership, the 12-nation trade deal championed by President Obama. ›