1. Jay Adams, known for pioneering the sport of skateboarding, died Thursday of a heart attack.
2. Longtime friend and fellow skater Stacy Peralta broke the news via Instagram.
“I just received the terribly sad news that Jay Adams passed away last night due to a massive heart attack, send your love.” —Stacy Peralta
3. As one of the original Z-Boys, Adams is considered one of the most influential skateboarders of all time.
His pioneering of the sport in 1970s Southern California was depicted in the film Lords of Dogtown as well as the documentary Dogtown and Z-Boys.
4. Members of the skateboarding community are grateful for the impact he had on the sport.
“Goodbye Jay Adams. Thank you for inspiring us to get vertical and to keep pushing the limits of what is possible.” —Tony Hawk
- The family of Sandra Bland, who died in a Texas jail cell in July three days after she was detained during a traffic stop, filed a wrongful death lawsuit in federal court.
- Migrant deaths in the Mediterranean have exceeded 2,000, making 2015 the deadliest year for people trying to reach Europe, according to the International Organization for Migration.
- Rapper 50 Cent may claim he's broke, but court records filed in his bankruptcy case show he has $10 million in various bank accounts.