1. Jay Adams, known for pioneering the sport of skateboarding, died Thursday of a heart attack.
2. Longtime friend and fellow skater Stacy Peralta broke the news via Instagram.
“I just received the terribly sad news that Jay Adams passed away last night due to a massive heart attack, send your love.” —Stacy Peralta
3. As one of the original Z-Boys, Adams is considered one of the most influential skateboarders of all time.
His pioneering of the sport in 1970s Southern California was depicted in the film Lords of Dogtown as well as the documentary Dogtown and Z-Boys.
4. Members of the skateboarding community are grateful for the impact he had on the sport.
“Goodbye Jay Adams. Thank you for inspiring us to get vertical and to keep pushing the limits of what is possible.” —Tony Hawk
- With head clerk Kim Davis jailed, Rowan County issues its first same-sex marriage license since the Supreme Court's June decision. ›
- After mounting pressure from other European countries, Britain will accept thousands more refugees from UN camps bordering Syria, Prime Minister David Cameron announced. ›
- The drowned Syrian boy, whose picture caused outrage around the world, has been buried together with his mother and 5-year-old brother. ›