1. Jay Adams, known for pioneering the sport of skateboarding, died Thursday of a heart attack.
2. Longtime friend and fellow skater Stacy Peralta broke the news via Instagram.
“I just received the terribly sad news that Jay Adams passed away last night due to a massive heart attack, send your love.” —Stacy Peralta
3. As one of the original Z-Boys, Adams is considered one of the most influential skateboarders of all time.
His pioneering of the sport in 1970s Southern California was depicted in the film Lords of Dogtown as well as the documentary Dogtown and Z-Boys.
4. Members of the skateboarding community are grateful for the impact he had on the sport.
“Goodbye Jay Adams. Thank you for inspiring us to get vertical and to keep pushing the limits of what is possible.” —Tony Hawk
- [Dominica Prime Minister Roosevelt Skerrit said that Tropical Storm Erika killed 20 people there, and set the island back 20 years from the damage. ›] (http://www.buzzfeed.com/stephaniemcneal/at-least-5-people-are-missing-after-tropical-storm-erika-thr)
- [Police are investigating the death of Jamycheal Mitchell, 24, who was arrested months ago in Virginia for allegedly stealing about $5 worth of groceries. He was found dead in his jail cell last week. ›] (http://www.buzzfeed.com/jimdalrympleii/black-man-held-for-months-for-stealing-5-worth-of-snacks-fou)
- Owen Labrie was found not guilty of felony sexual assault charges stemming from a 15-year-old former student's accusations that he raped her at St. Paul's School. ›