1. Jay Adams, known for pioneering the sport of skateboarding, died Thursday of a heart attack.
2. Longtime friend and fellow skater Stacy Peralta broke the news via Instagram.
“I just received the terribly sad news that Jay Adams passed away last night due to a massive heart attack, send your love.” —Stacy Peralta
3. As one of the original Z-Boys, Adams is considered one of the most influential skateboarders of all time.
His pioneering of the sport in 1970s Southern California was depicted in the film Lords of Dogtown as well as the documentary Dogtown and Z-Boys.
4. Members of the skateboarding community are grateful for the impact he had on the sport.
“Goodbye Jay Adams. Thank you for inspiring us to get vertical and to keep pushing the limits of what is possible.” —Tony Hawk
- Doctors Without Borders says 19 people died after a U.S. airstrike caused possible collateral damage at a hospital in Afghanistan. ›
- The Catholic Church fired high-ranking Vatican official Monsignor Krzysztof Charamsa. He came out as gay on Saturday. ›
- Hundreds of rescue workers in Guatemala dug through rubble, searching for signs of life after a mudslide killed at least 56 people. ›