2. But it’s not just any old dish. It’s a hooded dish with a big round opening.
3. This is important because you can reach in there and get salt easily.
5. …so if your salt is in a cabinet somewhere, you’re doing it wrong.
6. They aren’t named that because they look like a pig. That’s a dumb way to get a name.
7. They’re named because the word “pig” in an old Scottish dialect means earthenware jar or pot. And that’s a badass way to get a name.
9. …or at least they do if you get a proper earthenware one with an interior made of unglazed ceramic that absorbs moisture.
11. Also they aren’t always shaped like pigs.
Oops. That one’s a cat. HOW DID THAT GET IN HERE.