1. A salt pig is a little dish that holds salt.
2. But it’s not just any old dish. It’s a hooded dish with a big round opening.
3. This is important because you can reach in there and get salt easily.
4. You should probably be salting practically everything you cook,
5. …so if your salt is in a cabinet somewhere, you’re doing it wrong.
6. They aren’t named that because they look like a pig. That’s a dumb way to get a name.
7. They’re named because the word “pig” in an old Scottish dialect means earthenware jar or pot. And that’s a badass way to get a name.
9. …or at least they do if you get a proper earthenware one with an interior made of unglazed ceramic that absorbs moisture.
11. Also they aren’t always shaped like pigs.
Oops. That one’s a cat. HOW DID THAT GET IN HERE.
- Planned Parenthood officials said they believed Friday's shooting at a Colorado Springs clinic was motivated by opposition to abortion. ›
- World leaders are gathering in Paris for the United Nations summit on climate change 🌍 ›
- And Kobe Bryant wrote a poem announcing that he's retiring from professional basketball at the end of this season 🏀🎭 ›