1. You resist the urge to respond “how do you think it’s spelled” when people ask you how to spell your name.
Sound it out.
2. You’ve had at least one boss or teacher who believed your last name was actually your first name.
3. Telemarketers are completely confused by you.
Hello, Mr. (First Name)… I mean Mr. (Last Name)…
4. There are numerous photos of you on the Internet that are incorrectly tagged as another person with your name and vice-versa.
I haven’t talked to you since middle school, why did you just tag me in 9 photos?
5. Your name featured prominently in many word problems in math class.
6. You secretly wish that, just once, somebody would butcher your name.
That seems exciting!
7. You went through a phase when you experimented with nicknames.
Excuse me while I count down the days until I can legally change my name.
8. There’s always a celebrity or fictional character that shares your name.
Somehow you share all of their traits.
9. You grew up with a lot of people with the same name as you, and you were never referred to by just your first name
First name and last initial? Yes, that is me.
10. Regardless, one of your best friends shared/shares your name.
We have so much in common.
11. Meeting new people is tricky.
Yeah, apparently there are several people with my name, but I’m the one who can juggle!
12. When you have an issue with your name being misspelled, it just seems that much worse.
Is this real life?
13. Getting to pick a foreign name for your language class is the best thing ever.
Wow… I have a name, and it feels all my own!
14. You’ve met someone who has said that you should have been named a different generic name.
“You really seem like a Josh to me.”
15. Unless you’re named for a relative or a famous person, your parents really don’t have a good answer to the question “Why did you name me this?”
You’ll need to to better than that, Dad.
16. You have a collection of mugs with your generic name on them.
Oh… It’s customized… Thanks… Grandma.