1. Stan Lee, born Stanley Martin Lieber, loved to smile in photos.
3. In 1942, he joined the Army to create manuals and slogans. And smile in his dapper uniform.
4. By 1947, he married the beautiful Joan Clayton Boocock, another reason to smile.
5. And settled down to work at Atlas Comics, or as it is now known, Marvel. Which was serious business.
6. By 1968, Marvel was booming, as was Lee’s facial hair. The smile returned.
7. And in 1975, the mustache had evolved into its trademark look, sans beard. However…
11. But we forgive him because he also posed for photos like this.
In The News Today
- President Obama apologized to Doctors Without Borders for the airstrike that killed 22 people at a clinic in Afghanistan. ›
- Syrian troops launched a major ground offensive, backed by Russian airstrikes, against opposition forces. ›
- Tomas Lindahl, Paul Modrich, and Aziz Sancar won the Nobel Prize in chemistry for figuring out how cells repair DNA. ›