In the comic book world, much like in the real one, having “Doctor” in front of your name garners respect. But is it earned? Somewhere out there, a super-villain diploma mill is making a killing.
Let’s look at the worst offenders.
1. “Doctor” Doom - Nemesis: Fantastic Four
Victor von Doom was expelled from University after causing a massive explosion. He doesn’t even have his Bachelor degree. While Doom may claim to have received his Ph.D. from the Latverian university, it is null and void since you can’t just give yourself doctorates.
2. “Doctor” Spectro - Nemesis: Justice League
Spectro was a fake supervillain created to cover up the exploits of the Captain Atom project. Of course, things went off script when Tom Emery decided to REALLY be a bad guy. Fake or real, Emery doesn’t have a doctorate.
3. “Doctor” Sun - Nemesis: Fantastic Four
Sun is an alien robot with an organic brain. Any Ph.D. acquired on on other worlds is not viable for peer review on Earth due to LACK OF PEERS.
4. “Doctor” Moon - Nemesis: Justice League
Last time I checked, “Become An Expert In Psychological Torture In 30 Days” was not an acceptable subject for dissertation.
5. “Doctor” Polaris - Nemesis: Justice League
John Nichol is a businessman who skated through college and lied on his resume to climb the ranks. While ruthless, that doesn’t make him (or his predecessor Neal Emerson) qualified to practice medicine.
6. “Doctor” Cyber - Nemesis: Wonder Woman
Being a minion of Doctor Doom doesn’t make you a doctor anymore than being a Robin makes Dick Grayson a millionaire.
7. “Doctor” Psycho - Nemesis: Wonder Woman
If being a murderous psychopath with an intense hatred of women was enough to qualify for a Ph.D., there’d be a lot more doctors in the world. Edgar Cizko didn’t even graduate college what with being falsely imprisoned for theft.
8. “Doctor” Alchemy - Nemesis: The Flash
Albert Desmond is a schizophrenic criminal who dabbles in the occult. While that makes for an interesting SUBJECT for a doctor to study, it doesn’t make the subject of study a doctor.
9. “Doctor” Death - Nemesis: Batman
Sure Karl Hellfern is a mad scientist arms dealer who sells his biological weapons on the black market. But where get his degree?
10. “Doctor” Destiny - Nemesis: Justice League
For the last time, having a hobby as an evil genius is not the same thing as having a Ph.D.
11. “Doctor” Impossible - Nemesis: Justice League
Oh for crying out loud, you are Penguin’s henchman. Unless you are in the Venture Bros. you cannot get a doctorate in “henching.”
Doctor Octopus - Nemesis: Spider-Man
Otto Octavius graduated college with with a degree in Physical Science and went on to be a respected nuclear physicist. Octavius was the youngest person to serve on the National Board of Nuclear Science.
- One person died and three more were injured during a shooting on a university campus in Arizona. ›
- The U.S. ended its $500 million program that trains and equips Syrian rebels in their fight against ISIS. ›
- The National Dialogue Quartet in Tunisia won the 2015 Nobel Peace Prize for its role in building a democracy there. ›