1. You can’t hum while holding your nose.
2. The surface area of Russia is slightly larger than that of the surface area of Pluto.
3. Anne Frank and Martin Luther King Jr. were born in the same year.
4. Seniors graduating in the class of 2015 have never been alive while The Simpsons was not on TV.
8. New York City is further south than Rome, Italy.
9. Mammoths went extinct 1,000 years after the Egyptians finished building the Great Pyramid.
10. There were still people making their way across the United States via the Oregon Trail the year the fax machine was invented.
11. 1998 is as far away as 2030.
12. Carrots were originally purple.
13. France was still executing people with a guillotine when the first Star Wars film came out.
14. There are more public libraries than McDonald’s in the U.S.
15. Humans share 50% of their DNA with bananas.
16. An octopus has three hearts.
17. There’s enough water in Lake Superior to cover all of North and South America in 1 foot of water.
18. There is a basketball court on the top floor of the U.S. Supreme Court Building known as the “highest court in the land.”
19. If a piece of paper were folded 42 times, it would reach to the moon.
20. “umop apisdn” is “upside down” spelled upside down with different letters of the alphabet.
21. There are about twice as many nipples on Earth as there are people.
22. Saudi Arabia imports camels from Australia.
23. The name Jessica was created by Shakespeare in the play Merchant of Venice.
24. The YKK on your zipper stands for “Yoshida Kogyo Kabushikigaisha.”
25. If you put your finger in your ear and scratch, it sounds just like Pac-Man.
26. Every year, hundreds of new trees grow because of squirrels forgetting where they buried their nuts.
27. It rains diamonds on Saturn and Jupiter.
28. There are more atoms in a glass of water than there are glasses of water in all the oceans on Earth.
29. Every two minutes, we take more pictures than all of humanity did in the 19th century.
30. Maine is the closest U.S. state to Africa.
31. There’s only one hole in a straw.
32. Alaska is simultaneously the most northern, the most western, and the most eastern state in the U.S.
33. Dolphins have names for one another.
34. Vending machines are twice as likely to kill you as a shark is.
35. The toy Barbie’s full name is Barbara Millicent Roberts.
36. A strawberry isn’t a berry but a banana is.
37. So are avocados and watermelon.
38. The probability of you drinking a glass of water that contains a molecule of water that also passed through a dinosaur is almost 100%.
39. In Welsh folklore, corgis were the preferred method of transportation for fairies.
40. Cleopatra lived closer to the invention of the iPhone than she did to the building of the Great Pyramid.
41. When you remember something, you’re only thinking of the memory of that event, not the time it happened.
42. North Korea and Finland are separated by one country.
43. Will Smith is now older than Uncle Phil was at the beginning of The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air.
44. A pig’s orgasm can last for 30 minutes.
45. A Venus day is longer than a Venus year.
46. There have been studies that show that goats, like us, have accents.
47. If you say “Jesus” backwards it sounds like “sausage.”
48. Wayne Allwine and Russi Taylor, who respectively voiced Mickey and Minnie Mouse, were married in real life.
49. The order of the alphabet is completely random.
50. There are more ways to shuffle a deck of cards than there are atoms on Earth.
51. Pluto never made a full orbit around the sun from the time it was discovered to when it was declassified as a planet.
52. You can’t breathe and swallow at the same time.
53. Chocolate milk was invented in Ireland.
54. The oldest person on Earth was born closer to the signing of the United States Constitution than to now.
55. German is the second-most spoken language in North Dakota.
56. A TI-83 calculator has six times more processing power than the computer that landed Apollo 11 on the moon.
57. There is less time between the existence of the Tyrannosaurus rex and the existence of humans than there was between the Tyrannosaurus rex and the Stegosaurus.
58. And if you feel like you’ve wasted your time reading this, just remember: your entire life led up to this fact.
This post has been updated to meet our attribution standards.
- Austria and Germany will allow people seeking refuge from the war in Syria who are currently in Hungary to come to their countries. ›
- Rowan County, Kentucky, issued several marriage licenses today, but their validity is being questioned because jailed clerk Kim Davis's name isn't on them. ›
- U.S. Vice President Joe Biden said he isn't sure he has the "emotional energy" to run for president. ›