1. “Ambient” ad for Atabrine, an anti-malaria drug. Photo shot in Papua, New Guinea during WWII.
2. 1902 Japanese cigarette ad. Just try to look away from the flying, smiling, smoking Pegasus with dragon wings.
3. 1970s Norwegian ad for Brigg beer. “Our brew!” Damn fucking straight, it’s our brew.
4. Early 20th century Colgate ad. If it tamed dragon breath, that’s good enough for me.
5. 1980 Smirnoff ad. Just a woman waterskiing drunk, while holding a martini, behind the Loch Ness Monster. And the model in the ad, Caroline Cossey, waa born a man.
6. 1919 French ad for Jubol laxative. LOOK at those Jubol shit scrubbers cleaning your colon—barefooted! How courteous of them!
7. Early 20th century Dr. Pepper ad. The 3 Vs copy, brilliant. Plus, way to steal Budweiser’s thunder with the tagline. PLUS, look at the fucking magnificent lion.
8. Late 19th century ad. Do you understand what BALLS it took to say “dispense with a horse” in the late 19th century?
- All charges have been dismissed against a popular protest organizer in Chicago. He was arrested Tuesday during protests over a video showing the police shooting of a black teen. ›
- Frank Gifford's family says the NFL star had CTE, the degenerative brain disease linked to football. He died in August. ›
- And President Obama actually made his daughters laugh at the annual White House turkey pardon. ›