Every American I meet seems to expect Brits to really care about the Revolutionary War, the tea party, and how they ‘saved our asses in World War Two’. Sorry folks, we couldn’t give a toss.
‘Soho’ not ‘SoHo’. Yours, pedantic Londoner.
Response to 22 Dumb Rap Lyrics About Asian People:
Don’t really understand what Skepta’s doing in there. It doesn’t seem particularly offensive or dumb to me, unlike some of the others. He’s also the only one not talking about East Asians (‘Asian’ in the UK is nearly always South Asian).
“All Roald Dahl’s books” meaning all his children’s fiction, by the looks of it. But you’ve still missed out the Vicar of Nibbleswicke, which is definitely children’s fiction, and is definitely by Roald Dahl. Also, “Believability”? I’d have thought the less believable the better. What a terrible criterion to judge children’s fiction by.
Civ II, Sensible Soccer and Sam & Max Hit the Road. That’s all I ask for.
Response to 31 Brits To Help You Keep Calm (And Carry On):
Good post. But for the last time.
UK = England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland
Britain (‘British’) = England, Scotland, Wales
Ireland (‘Irish’) = Republic of Ireland, Northern Ireland Next week we can cover the Channel Islands, Isle of Man, and Irish who identify as British.
I’m a Londoner. While there are perfectly good explanations for most of these, I know that’s not the point, and that the author is well aware that, y’know, some countries are different. Lighten up compatriots, it’s a bit of fun. Besides, have you seen how screwy things are in the States? Jeez.
…and even if she were an overseas student in the books, she wouldn’t spell her name ‘Cho Chang’ if she were from the People’s Republic, where Boris is trying to drum up trade. It’d be Qiu Zhang (assuming she puts family name second when in Britain).
Language is all about context. And if the context is someone speaking with an American accent, we’re pretty forgiving. We know all the US equivalents from TV and movies anyway, and a lot of them have seeped in, even if altered slightly (pissed = drunk, pissed off = angry). Nowadays the phrase ‘can I bum a fag’ is used pretty much exclusively to try and get a rise out of American tourists.
Travel-savvy posters saying you’ve never done these: congratulations, you’re in the 0.1% of Americans who are competent abroad. I encounter Americans tourists doing at least one of these things most days (I work near Buckingham Palace, so I really should expect it). And yes, almost all of these are exclusively done by Americans, not other nationalities, but big props to you for not hanging round in menacing gangs like European teenagers or Japanese seniors. The one sign that you’re a native encountering American tourists? Shaking your head and saying “Only 10% of Americans have passports. Can you imagine what the other 90% are like?”
Response to The 12 Poshest Baby Names Of All Time:
Weird mix of famous people and newborn babies, presumably from the Times announcements, which are always worth a read for this very reason… Number 7: Virginia Bottomley is her married name. She was born Virginia Hilda Brunette Maxwell Garnett. It’s called Wikipedia people, use it!
Response to 16 Two-Ingredient Cocktails Anyone Can Make:
16 times yum. But Pimm’s and ginger beer? Soundsa alright, but it doth notaclassic Pimm’s cup make…3parts lemonade, one part Pimm’s No. 1, plus strawberries, cucumber, mint and orange. It even says so on the Pimm’s bottle. Every self-respecting Brit knows this. There’s also the winter Pimm’s-Pimm’s no.4with hot apple juice. Amazing.
Response to 20 Foods To Drunkenly Eat When You’re Abroad:
SHARE THIS PAGE View Viral Dashboard ›