1. Although father David McClain has been a victim of Lou Gehrig’s Disease for 12 years, he still maintains a positive outlook on life and volunteered to participate in the challenge.
The disease has paralyzed McClain from the shoulders down, and taken away his ability to speak. However, he still explains the disease and who he chose to pass the challenge onto through the speech synthesizer he uses to communicate.
2. He asked all his Facebook friends to not only “take the ice bucket plunge but I also challenge you to make a donation of what you can to the ALS association.”
- A Memphis police officer was shot dead on Saturday night while conducting a routine traffic stop, according to a statement from the Memphis Police Department.
- A conservation group in Zimbabwe reported that Jericho, the brother of beloved lion Cecil, was shot and killed by a hunter. But some scientists monitoring the pride believe he is OK.
- Joe Biden has begun to "actively explore a possible presidential campaign," the New York Times reports.