1. In 1988, McGruff the Crime Dog released a VHS PSA that featured a cameo appearance with a then-13 year-old Drew Barrymore.
2. Drew stars as our “femme fatale” who comes to visit McGruff the Crime Dog. She is feeling different because she, “Just said no to drugs.”
3. McGruff reminds Drew it’s “hard to be different.” Which is easy for him to say because he is an intimidating talking dog, that is dressed like a creepy flasher (no one is messing with him).
4. We also get a cameo from Gaby Hoffman.
5. For some reason Drew tries to pay-off McGruff with a dog treat.
6. McGruff tells Drew that just saying “no to drugs” is payment enough.
7. Drew checked into rehab in late 1988. After a few relapses she finally took McGruff’s advice. She continues to be a great example of overcoming adversity.
8. Drew Barrymore - McGruff the Crime Dog PSA:
In The News Today
- California Republican Kevin McCarthy has dropped out of the race to be the next speaker of the U.S. House. ›
- The United Nations has proposed a national unity government for Libya after peace talks between the north African country's two rival factions. ›
- It could take more than a year for Volkswagen to fix all its cars with diesel engines rigged to evade emissions tests, the company's U.S. CEO said. ›