2. The original opening to the film was supposed to be a dialogue-heavy scene. The producers and animators were so impressed with composer Hans Zimmer’s score for the “Circle of Life” that they decided to change the beginning to the now iconic opening.
5. When Simba collapses on the cliff, it appears that the pollen that flies off the cliff forms the word “sex,” but it was actually “SFX,” the abbreviation for the special-effects team that worked on the film.
8. Lion King and Pocahontas were in production at the same time. Disney believed that Pocahontas would be the more prestigious and successful of the two films.
10. “I Just Can’t Wait to Be King” was originally written as a song for Mufasa titled “To Be King.” It was reworked after they discovered the song didn’t work with James Earl Jones’ singing voice.
16. Mufasa was originally not supposed to appear after his death.
The spirit scene was added after producers thought Simba needed a reason to go back to Pride Rock. It was also the last scene created for the movie.
17. Initially, the reason an adult Nala wandered so far from Pride Rock was supposed to be because Scar had banished her for ignoring his romantic advances.
This plot point was dropped, as it was considered improper for a family movie.
19. The Lion King is the best-selling home video of all time, with over 55 million copies sold.
On the first day alone, 4.5 million tapes were sold.
- BuzzFeed News has identified a second member of the ISIS execution cell led by "Jihadi John."
- U.S. Republican presidential candidates debated in New Hampshire ahead of Tuesday's primary, and Sen. Marco Rubio malfunctioned 🇺🇸
- Super Bowl 50 catch-up: The Denver Broncos upset the Carolina Panthers. And Beyoncé slayed her half-time show 🏈 👑