1. At $190 million, Copper Beech Farm, originally built in 1898, currently holds the title of most expensive home ever formally listed.
2. Despite its astronomical price tag, the house is certainly not the largest house in America.
3. With 12 bedrooms, seven bathrooms, and two partial bathrooms, the house’s interior comes to 13,519 square feet.
4. In comparison, Oprah Winfrey’s Montecito, Calif., mansion comes in at a whopping 23,000 square feet.
5. According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the average square footage for a single-family home in 2010 was 2,392 square feet.
6. So what makes this Connecticut mansion so expensive?
15. But if I had to bet, I’m guessing it’s the 50 acres of prime waterfront property.
16. P.S. In case you’ve been wanting your own private island lately, this house comes with two.
17. Oh well, back to my 90-square-foot, New York City apartment.
- At least three people – including a police officer – died in a shooting at a Planned Parenthood in Colorado Springs. The suspect is in police custody. ›
- At least 15 people were killed after a suicide bomber attacked a Shiite Muslim procession of hundreds of people in Nigeria. ›
- And how well do you know what happened in the news this week? Take our quiz. ›