1. Montserrat Monastery, Catalonia, Spain.
I’m sorry, what?! Is that a mountain?
2. Mont Saint Michel, France
Did I wake up in a Disney movie?
3. Al Khazneh or “The Treasury” at Petra, Jordan.
Hey! That’s where they filmed Indiana Jones.
4. Cliff Palace, Mesa Verde National Park, Colorado
Why build a roof when you could just use a cliff?
5. Potala Palace, Chengguan, Tibet
I mean… I wouldn’t hate living here.
6. Leshan Giant Buddha, China
Why yes that is a 233 FOOT TALL BUDDHA CARVED INTO A MOUNTAIN!
7. Angkor Wat, Cambodia
If it’s cool enough for Lara Croft, it’s cool enough for me.
8. Bet Giyorgis Church in Lalibela, Ethiopia
Oh no biggie, you just carved an entire church INTO solid rock.
9. Chandi Bori Well Abhaneri, India
Also known as Batman’s prison, this well is like something out of an M.C. Escher drawing.
10. The Alhambra, Granada, Spain
No one can build quite like those Moors!
11. Bagan Temples, Myanmar
Forest temples are the best kind of temples.
12. Pyramids of Teotihuacan, Mexico
Can we just talk about how these pyramids were built in 450 AD?! HOW DO YOU DO THIS WITHOUT A CRANE?!
13. Wooden Churches of Kizhi Island, Russia
All this needs to be perfect is a dragon flying in the background.
14. Suspended Temple of Mt. Hengshan, China
Hmm, what should we do with this mountain?
15. Shibam Mud Houses, Hadhramaut, Yemen, sometimes referred to as “mini mud Manhattan.”
This may not seem that awesome, until you realize they’re made of MUD!
16. Cave Monastery, Vardzia, Georgia
Cliffside cave dwellings are about as badass as you can get. Props, Georgians.
17. Village of Monsanto, Portugal built between natural boulders.
See a boulder, build a village…? WHY THE HELL NOT?