1. A new species of water mite has been discovered in a coral reef in Mona Passage, between Puerto Rico and the Dominican Republic.
2. The scientists who have made the discovery named it the Litarachna lopezae mite after the famed actress and pop star, Jennifer Lopez.
3. Up to this point, the Litarachna lopezae is the deepest dwelling water mite ever found.
4. Vladimir Pešić, a biologist who worked on the paper that detailed the findings had this to say about the name to the Associated Press:
“The reason behind the unusual choice of name for the new species is that J.Lo’s songs and videos kept the team in a continuous good mood when writing the manuscript and watching World Cup Soccer 2014.”
5. If this is what you imagined, that’s perfectly normal.
h/t Associated Press