1. Selfridges Department Store in London has just launched the “No Noise” initiative.
In collaboration with Headspace, a company that bills itself as “the world’s first gym membership for the mind,” the department store will host mass meditations, provide individual “pods” for guided meditations, and present a series of contemplative talks called “Idle Sundays.” The idea is to tune out all the noise of the modern world and focus inward.
Five hundred people gathered for a meditation led by Headspace co-founder Andy Puddicombe and Selfridges Creative Director Alannah Weston at the January 10th launch.
3. There’s a “Silence Room” where shoppers can sit in peace.
When Harry Gordon Selfridge first opened the store back in 1909, there was a room where shoppers could “retire from the whirl of bargains and the build up of energy.” The store is resurrecting the space to fit the era of smartphones and Black Friday campouts.
4. In February, there will be a performance of John Cage’s 4’33.
Which is a completely silent composition.
- Former Virginia Gov. Jim Gilmore is dropping out of the race for the Republican presidential nomination. He got 133 votes in New Hampshire.
- MLB issued its first-ever lifetime ban for performance enhancing drugs to New York Mets' Jenrry Mejia.
- And how well do you know what happened in the news this week? Take our quiz.