1. Victoria’s Secret was founded in 1977 by Roy Raymond, a guy who said he was embarrassed to buy his wife lingerie in department stores.
A catalogue from Victoria Secret’s debut year.
By 1979, the brand was selling furry sex shoes.
The models also posed with glasses of sherry.
2. Men started showing up in catalogs and advertisements around the mid-80s.
So, buy VS bras and underpants in order to please the man in your life? Hope your man buys them for you? Buy these panties and land this man? 1986.
4. Men were out of the picture by 1991 — but the bejeweled thong was on the way in.
By the early 90s, models were depicted relaxing by themselves, or lounging around beach houses with their independent women model friends. The focus shifted from the “we” to the “me.”
5. In 1992: neither feather nor rhinestone tainted this brand’s underthings.
7. The Angels came along in 1998…
Who needs a vacant-looking man when you have airbrushing?
8. …Along with VS’s shift toward complete excess
Gisele modeling the first-ever Fantasy Bra in 2000. It was covered in diamonds and cost $15 million.
9. Now, in 2012, you can buy bras covered in multicolored flowers on Victoria’s Secret’s website.
She looks confused. Maybe it’s all the colors.
- The U.S. government is investigating possible unlawful coordination by some airlines to keep prices high ✈️
- Leaders of the U.S. Episcopal Church, which appointed an out gay bishop in 2003, have voted to let clergy perform religious same-sex marriages.
- The Women's World Cup final is set: Team USA and Japan will play on Sunday ⚽️