So you’re ready to climb in your car and see all that this glorious country has to offer.
Can you EVEN BELIEVE that the Hoover Dam was MADE BY PEOPLE??!
1. Travel along one of these 11 classic routes.
More info here.
2. Or strike out with nothing but a map and a dream.
And strappy sandals, and a polka dot dress, and a pinwheel, and a… trumpet?
3. Make a food passport.
So you’re sure to hit up all the spots you planned for.
4. Use a cereal container as a small, portable trash can.
Which, most importantly, has a lid.
5. If you’re traveling with kids, pack a separate first-aid/diaper/useful stuff kit so it doesn’t clutter your own bag.
Zip-up makeup cases make awesome (and waterproof) containers.
7. And bring along a whole bunch of stuff to use with it.
8. Play license plate bingo.
The first person to get a row out of the 50 states gets an ice cream sundae. (Or a whole bunch of booze if they are not a child.) Printable bingo cards available here.
9. Pack for two weeks with only 13 items of clothing.
10. Never lose your child again with these custom tattoos.
They’ll thank you one day when they aren’t stranded at a rest stop in Duluth, Minn. Available here.
11. Play a movie soundtrack to make it feel like you’re in a road trip film.
Or a 19th-century novel of manners but WE ALL HAVE OUR PREFERENCES.
And on that note, two words: audiobooks, y’all. Buy them, rent them, stream them, love them.
14. Convert a drink holder into a multi-level container.
15. A muffin tin makes an awesome Play-doh station.
With minimal cleanup.
16. Make the ultimate road trip pillow.
Peacefully sleep your way through Iowa. (Sorry, Iowa.) Directions here.
19. Mask that oh-so-familiar McDonald’s scent with a homemade air freshener.
20. For the non-DIYers: buy a cherry pie-scented air freshener.
21. Or this KITTEN-SHAPED ONE.
It does not, probably fortunately, smell like kittens, but rather linen.
22. Invest in a multi-way charger to avoid apocalypse.
Get this four-way one here.
23. Collect dirt from everywhere you stop to preserve ~memories~.
There are tons of non-scrapbook ways to remember your trip forever.
25. If you’re traveling with a pet, get a spill-proof bowl.
27. Trick out your car with sticky pads for all your small important stuff.
We've got your WKND covered.
- After mounting pressure from other European countries, Britain will accept thousands more refugees from UN camps bordering Syria, Prime Minister David Cameron announced. ›
- A Guatemalan judge ordered former President Otto Perez Molina held in jail overnight while hearings over the corruption scandal that led to his resignation take place. ›
- The Justice Dept. has tightened rules on cell phone tracking, forcing federal agencies to get a warrant. ›