1. Union Beach was devastated by Hurricane Sandy, with over 1,000 homes flooded and 200 left uninhabitable.
The Princess Cottage Inn was completely torn apart. Many of the town’s residents are still unsure they’ll be able to rebuild at all.
2. But the “Tree of Hope,” an artificial tree which was pulled from storm wreckage by a local resident, has recently risen.
“The rebuilding of Union Beach — we’re going come back bigger and better than we ever were before,” local Mary Mancini told CBS of the tree’s meaning to her and her daughter. It stands directly across the street from the Princess Cottage Inn.
3. Town residents have rallied to decorate the tree.
4. They leave handmade ornaments and gifts for those who need them.
- Tunisia's president declared a state of emergency a week after a deadly terror attack on a beach hotel.
- Some 150 migrants stranded in the French city of Calais stormed the Channel Tunnel in an attempt to make it to British territory.
- Matt Stonie won the 2015 Nathan's Famous hot dog eating contest, beating 8-time champion Joey Chestnut ☀️??