1. Union Beach was devastated by Hurricane Sandy, with over 1,000 homes flooded and 200 left uninhabitable.
The Princess Cottage Inn was completely torn apart. Many of the town’s residents are still unsure they’ll be able to rebuild at all.
2. But the “Tree of Hope,” an artificial tree which was pulled from storm wreckage by a local resident, has recently risen.
“The rebuilding of Union Beach — we’re going come back bigger and better than we ever were before,” local Mary Mancini told CBS of the tree’s meaning to her and her daughter. It stands directly across the street from the Princess Cottage Inn.
3. Town residents have rallied to decorate the tree.
4. They leave handmade ornaments and gifts for those who need them.
- After mounting pressure from other European countries, Britain will accept thousands more refugees from UN camps bordering Syria, Prime Minister David Cameron announced. ›
- A Guatemalan judge ordered former President Otto Perez Molina held in jail overnight while hearings over the corruption scandal that led to his resignation take place. ›
- The Justice Dept. has tightened rules on cell phone tracking, forcing federal agencies to get a warrant. ›