1. In Vancouver, people took to the English Bay for the annual Polar Bear Swim.
5. Milwaukee’s version takes place at Lake Michigan.
Some participants chose to stay warm on shore…
While some reveled in the cold.
10. New York City’s Polar Bear Swim is held at Coney Island.
It’s the “oldest winter bathing organization in the US,” according to Reuters.
His outfit is made out of MetroCards.
This Coney Island resident dressed as a boiler as a reminder of how hard his borough was hit by Hurricane Sandy.
15. Scotland’s Loony Dook Swim, in the River Forth, takes the cake for sheer commitment.
Oh good, Kate and Will and the Royal Baby decided to stop by!
Here’s to a loving (and warm) 2013!
- Takaaki Kajita and Arthur McDonald have won the Nobel Prize in physics for their discovery that neutrinos have mass. ›
- Russia is reportedly preparing to send ground troops to aid Syria's campaign against rebel forces. ›
- Grace Lee Boggs, Detroit activist and civil rights pioneer, has died at the age of 100, according to the Boggs Center. ›