1. In Vancouver, people took to the English Bay for the annual Polar Bear Swim.
5. Milwaukee’s version takes place at Lake Michigan.
Some participants chose to stay warm on shore…
While some reveled in the cold.
10. New York City’s Polar Bear Swim is held at Coney Island.
It’s the “oldest winter bathing organization in the US,” according to Reuters.
His outfit is made out of MetroCards.
This Coney Island resident dressed as a boiler as a reminder of how hard his borough was hit by Hurricane Sandy.
15. Scotland’s Loony Dook Swim, in the River Forth, takes the cake for sheer commitment.
Oh good, Kate and Will and the Royal Baby decided to stop by!
Here’s to a loving (and warm) 2013!
- BuzzFeed News looks at the fourth anniversary of Mark Duggan's death, an unarmed black man who was shot and killed by police in north London. The shooting sparked England-wide riots in 2011.
- President Obama unveiled a climate change plan on Monday that calls for federal limits on the amount of carbon power plants can produce.
- Puerto Rico has failed to make a $58 million debt payment, and credit rating agency Moody's says the U.S. territory is in default.