1. Pop Idol launched in 2001. The judges were: Simon Cowell, Dr Fox, Nicki Chapman and Pete Waterman.
Ant and Dec hosted the show.
3. The opening credits were composed by Cathy Dennis, who also composed ‘Can’t Get You Out Of My Head’.
7. The judges’ candid put-downs pulled no punches.
14. Gareth Gates made his big debut.
15. As did Will Young’s dance moves.
Note Simon greeting him with ‘you’re a good looking boy’.
16. Rosie Ribbons sang an original compostion.
And received zero compliments on her outfit.
17. And after a disastrous audition for Popstars, Darius finally made it on Pop Idol.
19. Unsuprisingly, really. Force of nature, this performance
22. The Pop Idol Arena Tour saw finalists awkwardly on the road together.
23. The show was so popular that Britney did a skit of it.
It closes with Britney on the sofa in the Big Brother house.
25. There was even an ‘interactive’ Pop Idol attraction at Madame Tussaud’s in 2003.
26. The finalists - where are they now?
Gareth Gates (left) toured the musical Boogie Nights at the start of 2013, with members of The Osmonds, Shane Ritchie and Chico. Interestingly, Gates has investments in the company Ingenious Media, which backed Avatar and X-Men Origins: Wolverine.
Zoe Birkett (second left) has appeared in Rent, Thriller Live and Priscilla, Queen of the Desert . She can be found on Twitter, here .
Darius (centre) has landed a role in the upcoming US television series Beauty and the Beast , where he will play a mercenary bodyguard.
Hayley Evetts (second right). In 2012, Evetts successfully auditioned at the Manchester stages of The X Factor and made it through to bootcamp, but failed to move on to judges’ houses.
And Will Young?