1. If you’re in bed when an earthquake strikes, stay there. Hold on and protect your head with a pillow.
“You best protect your neck / You best protect your neck / You best protect your neck. You best protect your neck.” — RZA, “Protect Ya Neck”
2. Move away from buildings, streetlights, and utility wires.
“Yo somethin in the street went, bang bang / Makin’ it hard for you to do your thang thang.” — Capadonna, “Careful (Click Click”)
3. Many inside doorways are lightly constructed and do not offer protection.
“The 9th chamber, leave you trapped inside my hallway / You try to flee but you got smoked up by the doorway.” — Raekwon, “Criminology”
4. Drop to the ground and take cover by getting under a sturdy table or other piece of furniture.
“Take cover kid, what?” — Capadonna, “Triumph”
5. Most earthquake-related casualties result from collapsing walls, flying glass, and falling objects.
“And the survey said, you’re dead / Fatal flying guillotine chops off your fucking head.” — RZA, “Wu-Tang Clan Ain’t Nuthing ta Fuck Wit”
6. DO NOT use the elevators.
“Picture bloodbaths and elevator shafts.” — GZA, “Duel of the Iron Mic”
7. Help injured or trapped persons.
“Just consider the unparallel advantage / Of a natural disaster that’s impossible to manage.” — RZA, “Reunited”
8. If trapped under debris, do not light a match.
“Struck a match to the underground, industry ignited” — GZA, “Reunited”
9. If trapped under debris, cover your mouth with a handkerchief or clothing. Shout only as a last resort. Shouting can cause you to inhale dangerous amounts of dust.
“Spray places, cover faces, beat cases / A big mouth will get your teeth knocked the fuck out.” — Masta Killa, “Watch Your Mouth”
10. Expect aftershocks.
“Just like rocking what? Twin Glocks! / Shake the ground while my beats just break you down.” — Raekwon, “Wu-Tang: 7th Chamber”
11. Look for and extinguish small fires. Fire is the most common hazard after an earthquake.
“E with the English, extinguish styles extremist” — Ghostface, “Gravel Pit”