Apparently one article of men’s clothing is causing a major debate among style aficionados and common dudes alike. That piece of clothing: your shorts. You probably don’t think that shorts are even that big of a deal, but with the return of summer brings the return of the shorts discussion almost annually.
James Cave of Huff Post shared varying sentiments, including the likes of Tom Ford who find shorts “Disgusting.” Yikes. That’s a little more severe than how most people feel. It’s very interesting that so many people have such strong opinions about shorts varying in every facet of the warm weather piece.
Quite frankly, I think they are essential for summer. I mean, who wants to be stuck in full length pants on an uber warm day? But at what length? In what color? Cut? Material?
After scouring the inter-webs looking for a simplistic answer, I found none. All I found were more opinions. so, I decided to write my own (you’re welcome).
To simplify all of the short rules (and life), here are my style rules for proper shorts wearing:
1) Never ever for a professional setting (unless you live in Bermuda): Shorts are definitely for more casual moments. Keep them out of your professional attire.
2) Use your knee as your guide: Just above to just below the knee seems to be the general and most flattering lengths.
3) Stick to lighter fabrics: It is summer after all. Heavy and non breathable fabrics be damned.
4) As far as use your regular pants fitting as your guide: It you like your pants on the baggier side, chances are that you will feel the same about your shorts.
5) Be comfortable: The whole point in wearing shorts is so that you will be comfortable in the intense sun and heat of summer. Being uncomfortable makes the shorts a moot point.
At the end of the day, only wear what speaks to you. And you will definitely stay cool.