We asked couples in open relationships what they would like to say about their relationships, and we picked the best answers to share in this post. We have left the couples themselves anonymous.
1. "I chose to have an open relationship, but that doesn't mean that everyone has to have one."
2. "Opting for an open relationship is not just about the sex."
3. "When I reveal that I'm in an open relationship, I'm not asking you to give your opinion about it."
4. "There is no one kind of relationship that is better than all the other kinds."
5. "Every couple in an open relationship has a dynamic, and all of them are valid."
6. "Opening up the relationship doesn't mean you're trying to 'save' the relationship."
7. "Just because we have an open relationship doesn't mean we start sleeping around like crazy."
8. "Just because we have an open relationship doesn't mean we don't get jealous."
9. "Just because we have an open relationship doesn't mean we can't feel betrayed."
10. "Anyone can be in an open relationship — you just have to want it."
11. "Just because I'm in an open relationship doesn't mean you can immediately start hitting on me."
12. "Open relationships cannot be abusive. The agreements must be equal and reciprocal."
13. "Just because they're in an open relationship doesn't mean the couple doesn't want to start a family."
14. "An open couple has to be very mature and have very good communication to make it work."
15. "The important thing is the relationship, not the rules."
16. "Opening the relationship doesn't mean that they don't love each other anymore or that the sex is bad. In fact, it's quite the opposite."
17. "And always have safe sex!"
This post was translated from Portuguese.