1. According to legend, tea was invented by the Chinese Emperor Shennong in 2737 BC.
2. Tea was originally marketed as a medicinal tonic.
3. Tea has been in the UK for about 400 years and spread to the US with the first pilgrims.
4. Tea breaks have been a British institution for 200 years.
5. All types of tea, green, white, black, oolong and pu-erh (AKA dark tea) are made from the leaves of the same plant, the Camellia Sinensis.
6. The colour and type of tea is determined by how processed it is.
7. Black tea was invented by mistake.
8. In total there are 1,500 different types of tea.
9. Fruit teas and herbal infusions are not technically tea.
10. Tea isn't just a drink - it's also a food.
11. No need to splash out on pricey decaf tea - you can decaffeinate your own tea at home.
12. Tea helps you achieve inner peace.
13. Tea is also an energy drink.
14. Tea is an aphrodisiac.
15. Tea makes delicious cocktails.
16. Tea makes your hair shiny and fabulous.
17. Tea prevents cavities.
18. Tea eases sunburn and promotes faster healing of cuts and grazes.
19. All over the world, tea is given as an offering to the Gods.
20. The world's most expensive tea costs £1,850 ($3,000) per kilo.
21. However, tea is also thrifty at half the price of coffee.
22. Tea is the world's second most consumed drink after water.
23. Tea makes you beautiful.
24. Drinking green tea keeps mosquitoes away.
25. 93% of people take black tea with milk...
26. ...But only 30% of people take sugar in their tea.
27. Tea protects against heart disease (as well as cancer and diabetes).
28. Four cups to five cups of tea per day is the recommended amount to enjoy optimum health benefits, so why not pour another lovely cup now?
This post was created by a member of BuzzFeed Community, where anyone can post awesome lists and creations. Learn more or post your buzz!