Here are steps and tip in creating and reading your astrological chart:
1. With the use of your compass, draw three concentric circles of different sizes on a piece of paper.The innermost circle should be fairly small relative to the outer circles.
2. Divide the space between the outer two circles into 12 equal sections. This 12 section will represent the 12 signs of the zodiac (Aries, Taurus, etc.).
Tip: Make each section into equal arcs of 30° each. Mark each degree by making use of the small notches on the second circle. Mark only every other degree or so if you wish. However, do keep in mind that the angles between points on the circle will be critical in interpreting the chart, so accuracy is important.
3. Label each section with its sign by drawing the sign's glyph (symbol). Proceed labeling in counterclockwise order.
Tip: It does not matter where you begin, since at this point you have only a circle and no top or bottom. Just label in this order of the astrological signs: Aries, Taurus, Gemini, Cancer, Leo, Virgo, Libra, Scorpio, Sagittarius, Capricorn, Aquarius and Pisces.
4. Find the subject's ascendant sign. You can do this by looking up his or her birth date and time in an ascendant table in an ephemeris, which is a chart of the positions of heavenly bodies at given points in time. This ephemeris chart is available for purchase on the Internet
Tip: The ascendant is the zodiac sign rising over the easternmost horizon or sunrise point at a person's given time of birth and given place of birth on earth. So, to construct a very accurate chart, you must know the longitude of the subject's birthplace as well as the exact date and time. There are computer programs available for free on the Internet which can provide you with the ascendant sign if you enter the necessary information.
5. Mark the ascendant sign on your chart. In creating a horoscope the ascendant is traditionally placed at the "nine o'clock" position on the left-hand side of the chart wheel.
Source : http://www.amazines.com/article_detail.cfm/4626274?articleid=4626274