1. Kid President likes the UN.
This August, Kid President took over the UN’s headquarters to get to the bottom of the question, “what does the world need more of?” Hugs. The answer is hugs.
2. Malala Yousafzai spent her 16th birthday at the UN.
How can you not be completely in awe of Malala? Before Jon Stewart was “fangirling” over her, Malala had her first public speech since her attack at the UN General Assembly – in front of 500 youth advocates.
5. The UN prevents war.
When the Obama administration was all like “we need military action in Syria,” the UN Security Council was all like “let’s figure this out diplomatically.” And they are. Now UN experts are working hand-in-hand with the Nobel Peace Prize-winning Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons as it works to destroy Syria’s chemical weapons.
9. The UN changes with the times.
No way around it, the tents you normally see at refugee camps could stand to be more durable. That’s why UNHCR teamed up with IKEA to build better homes for the millions of refugees it assists worldwide. No word yet if IKEA’s allen wrench will be included.
This post was created by a user and has not been vetted or endorsed by BuzzFeed's editorial staff. BuzzFeed Community is a place where anyone can post awesome lists and creations. Learn more or post your buzz!
- Donald Trump broke with decades of US policy by speaking with the president of Taiwan Friday, a move that could anger China.
- A jury failed to reach a verdict Friday in the case of Michael Slager, a former South Carolina officer charged in the fatal shooting of Walter Scott.
- The CEO of Zenefits plans to step down after 10 months on the job. A legal mess nearly sank the company this year.
- A UFC fighter is asking people to crush apples with their bare hands 🍎💪