2. Lesson One: Types of Studs
This ever so informative graphic is courtesy of our good friend Martha. Who knew she’d be a rebel? Originally here. There are more types than this, of course — these will just get you started on your studding adventures. For a thorough selection, you gotta check out Studs and Spikes, or your local craft store.
3. Lesson Two: Studding in Three Steps
1. Mark a pattern with a pencil, using a ruler to make sure they’re evenly spaced. If you don’t suffer from perfectionism, you could just eyeball it. Lucky you.
2. Push a stud through the fabric, making sure it’s straight. If you’re studding leather, pleather or another material that’s troublesome, you might want to get yourself a dart awl (this one’s only $3.28) or a seam ripper to help poke holes in your fabric. Try sticking your stud partially through first, so you have guides to help you poke in the right place (…haha). Another helpful tip: buy studs with 2 prongs instead of four, and you’ll cut your work in half.
3. Use a thimble, pliers, a blunt knife, or a flat-head screwdriver to bend the prongs on the back of the studs down, so they’re secure.
4. Lesson Two, Part B: Studding With Glue
Instead of spending your precious time poking things through fabric — which admittedly would be problematic in the case of shoes, considering how thick they can be — use some E-6000 to glue on your studs. You’ll want to find ones without prongs. See this tutorial for the least messy technique. Oh, and no hot glue. They’ll fall right off.
14. A geometric phone case
Just make sure you draw that guiding line at the beginning, because otherwise those crooked studs will bug you so much you won’t want to use your new case. You’ll also want to find studs without prongs, so you can glue them easily. Full directions here.
- President Trump addressed the Conservative Political Action Conference, or CPAC, where he lashed out at the media and defended his agenda.
- The White House strongly denies reports that Chief of Staff Reince Priebus urged the FBI to undermine stories linking Trump to Russia.
- Kim Jong Nam, the half-brother of North Korea's leader, was killed with a chemical weapon last week at an airport in Malaysia.
- Caitlyn Jenner told President Trump his administration's rollback of protections for transgender kids was a "disaster" 😳