2. Plenty of rock stars and supermodels get together, but David Bowie and Iman’s relationship always felt profoundly unique.
3. The two dazzling, ethereal superstars never lost that look of love.
4. They met at a party in 1990 and married two years later; for most of their 23-year marriage, they kept their private life, well, private.
This photo is from one of their first public appearances together, according to Iman’s Instagram.
“We are very private so we decided from early on that we will keep the press and editors and everybody out of our house,” Iman told Naomi Campbell in a 2013 Interview magazine interview.
5. Still, they couldn’t help but let their passion burn bright from time to time, offering a peek into one of Hollywood’s most stable marriages.
6. “Definitely I didn’t want to get into a relationship with somebody like him,” Iman once told The Guardian of meeting her future husband.
“But I fell in love with David Jones. I did not fall in love with David Bowie. Bowie is just a persona. He’s a singer, an entertainer. David Jones is a man I met.”
8. Being in a close relationship eased Bowie’s “sense of loneliness that I had before, which was very, very strong,” he told Anthony DeCurtis for his book In Other Words: Artists Talk About Life and Work.
9. Of falling in love, Iman told Daily Express in 2011, “I remember once the laces on my trainers came undone and David was down on his knees in the middle of the street tying them for me. I thought to myself, ‘This one’s a keeper.’”
She has a bowie knife tattoo on her ankle in her husband’s honor.
11. As red-carpet mainstays, they showed up dressed to the nines wherever they went, and always looked perfectly made for each other.
“I have someone who loves me for me. Seriously, it really helps!” Bowie once said.
12. Despite his ever-evolving, electrifying stage persona, at home, Bowie was a committed husband and father.
He and Iman had a daughter, Alexandria, in 2000. “The Bowie character, for me, is strictly to be used on stage,” he told David Itzkoff in 2005. “With my family, I am David Jones, very much.”
13. Whatever they did, it worked. “I still fancy him – totally! – after all these years,” Iman also told Harper’s Bazaar.
- UK intelligence chief says he's worried by rival countries' attempts to undermine democracy through propaganda, cyberattacks.
- This dad had the most adorable freak out to his family when he met his first alpaca 😂