Taste: Sweet and bitter …but mostly bitter.
Best cooked: By battering ‘n frying them. Or, for a fresher take, sprinkle raw baby dandelions in a salad.
BONUS: They have more beta-carotene than carrots. And you can eat their stems too.
Taste: Spinach-y with hints of sour/acidity.
Best cooked: In a creamy winter soup, or raw in a salad.
BONUS: They’re packed with antioxidant vitamins (A and C) and healthy omega-3 fatty acids.
3. Lamb’s Quarters
Taste: Close cousin to spinach; also known as “wild spinach.”
Best cooked: Sautéed, or if you’re feeling a little adventurous, mashed into a yummy and healthy pesto.
BONUS: Full of calcium, protein, and vitamins, this weed is one of the healthiest wild-grown veggies you can have.
Found specifically in the northeast region.
Best cooked: Into griddle cakes.
BONUS: Their pollen can be used as flour in some recipes and it has the added nutritional components like vitamins A, B, and C, potassium and phosphorus.
5. Red Clovers
Taste: Sweet and floral.
Best cooked: Not cooked, but kept raw! Or steeped in a hot tea.
BONUS: When used in teas, It helps eases symptoms of a cold and it’s got a generous amount of calcium, magnesium, potassium, niacin, thiamine, and Vitamin C.
*but take precautions when ingesting during pregnancy
6. Plantains (no, the other kind)
Taste: Nutty and asparagus-like.
Best cooked: By boiling and/or sautéing its leaves.
BONUS: Plantain weeds are literally found in most backyards/sidewalk cracks but they have a great nutritional palette of iron and important vitamins and minerals.
Taste: Peppery flowers; bitter leaves.
Best cooked: In a JELLY (for the very adventurous).
BONUS: A great source of vitamins A and C. Also, what a pretty color.
- Some of Donald Trump's diehard supporters say they have mixed feelings about watching — much less paying for — Trump TV.
- The Obama administration delayed trans workers' protections for years after a landmark civil rights decision 🔎🌈
- A powerful magnitude-6.1 earthquake struck Italy Wednesday night, hours after a smaller magnitude-5.5 quake struck the same region.
- Facebook keeps promoting fake news. Experts say its trending algorithm can't stop it—and it could get worse ❌📰