1. Remember back in 2013 when Kanye West gave J-Kwon the ultimate head nod in a New York Times interview, revealing that “Tipsy” was his all-time favorite track?
When describing the importance and appeal of a solid, minimalist beat, Kanye referenced J-Kwon’s thumping mega-hit. “People would think that’s like a lower-quality, less intellectual form of hip-hop, but that’s always my No. 1,” he said.
3. J-Kwon hadn’t heard about Kanye’s fandom, he explained, because he’s “not in social media.” But now that he knows, he’s flattered.
After he took a moment to take in what, to him, was news, he said, “You know what’s funny, though? Kanye West is my number one. Nobody is better than Kanye. He’s from Chicago, I’m from St. Louis. I had a run-in [with him] when I was first starting out — we did a couple of shows together as well — and he killed it. And you know, [back then] he told me I rocked it. I was rocking shit.”
4. And J-Kwon and Kanye are on the same page, because they both still think that “Tipsy” is one of the greatest songs to ever bless the human race.
“It’s a classic!” J-Kwon exclaimed. “You can’t fuck with that. You can quote me on that. Can’t nobody fuck with that. They don’t even do music like that anymore. Even now, it’s still live. It’s a crazy club record!”
6. And on the phone, J-Kwon took one last moment to digest Kanye’s compliment: “Wow.”
“I mean…wow. That means a lot.”
- The Army Corps of Engineers and North Dakota police have ordered protesters to leave the Dakota Access Pipeline site by this afternoon or face arrest.
- Immigrants are worried two government memos are laying the groundwork for the deportation force Trump promised on the campaign trail.
- A US federal judge ruled that Texas can't cut Planned Parenthood out of its Medicaid program.
- Yalla! You can now download a new Arab emoji keyboard that includes a belly dancer, Oman Chips, and more 👏