1. Remember back in 2013 when Kanye West gave J-Kwon the ultimate head nod in a New York Times interview, revealing that “Tipsy” was his all-time favorite track?
When describing the importance and appeal of a solid, minimalist beat, Kanye referenced J-Kwon’s thumping mega-hit. “People would think that’s like a lower-quality, less intellectual form of hip-hop, but that’s always my No. 1,” he said.
3. J-Kwon hadn’t heard about Kanye’s fandom, he explained, because he’s “not in social media.” But now that he knows, he’s flattered.
After he took a moment to take in what, to him, was news, he said, “You know what’s funny, though? Kanye West is my number one. Nobody is better than Kanye. He’s from Chicago, I’m from St. Louis. I had a run-in [with him] when I was first starting out — we did a couple of shows together as well — and he killed it. And you know, [back then] he told me I rocked it. I was rocking shit.”
4. And J-Kwon and Kanye are on the same page, because they both still think that “Tipsy” is one of the greatest songs to ever bless the human race.
“It’s a classic!” J-Kwon exclaimed. “You can’t fuck with that. You can quote me on that. Can’t nobody fuck with that. They don’t even do music like that anymore. Even now, it’s still live. It’s a crazy club record!”
6. And on the phone, J-Kwon took one last moment to digest Kanye’s compliment: “Wow.”
“I mean…wow. That means a lot.”
- Trump's pick for education secretary, Betsy DeVos, could face a contentious confirmation hearing — at least by the standards of the position.
- A Trump adviser is presenting himself as an unlikely go-between in an effort to help global elites understand Trump.
- Birth control startups are seeing a spike in demand because many women are nervous coverage will disappear under Trump.
- You can now dig through the CIA's secret history. 12 millions declassified docs are on the internet for all to see 🤓📚