17. 2006: LT United, “We Are The Winners” (Lithuania).
WTF because… The song claimed they would win Eurovision. They didn’t.
Best lyric: “We are the winners of Eurovision / We are, we are! We are, we are!
/ We are the winners of Eurovision / We are, we are! We are, we are!”
16. 1998: Guildo Horn, “Guildo Hat Euch Lieb” (Germany).
WTF because… The lyrics make literally no sense.
Best lyric: “That’s where I’d like to be / If the stars weren’t so far away / And from there I’d send you the proof of my love / Nut cookies and raspberry ice cream”.
13. 1976: Peter, Sue & Marc, “Djambo Djambo” (Switzerland).
WTF because… It’s about a sad clown.
Best lyric: “The birds have known the old man for many years / His eyes have seen so much and look so mild / He’s up at four and early every morning / He feeds them and feels happy like a child”.
10. 1983: Çetin Alp & The Short Waves, “Opera” (Turkey).
WTF because… It’s a non-operatic song about opera.
Best lyric: “The excitement and intrigue, the lovers and their games / Overtures, trios, duets and choruses / Raise their voices through the ages as they sing ‘La Traviata’”.
6. 2005: Zdob şi Zdub, “Boonika Bate Doba” (Moldova).
WTF because… It features a drumming granny in a rocking chair.
Best lyric: “Now get your body moving, just follow the tune / It’s a real magic - big mama play her drum-a / She’s flying into trance like an Indian shaman”.
5. 1977: Schmetterlinge, “Boom Boom Boomerang” (Austria).
WTF because… The men turn into dolls part-way through.
Best lyric: “Boom boom boomerang up in the sky / Kangaroo, boogaloo, go out and buy / Ding dong, sing the song, hear the guitar cry / Kojak, hijack, don’t ask why”.
1. 2012: Buranovskiye Babushki, “Party For Everybody” (Russia).
WTF because… They’re six Russian grannies who trying to raise money to build a church by baking a cake live on Eurovision.
Best lyric: “And my cat is happy / And my dog is happy! / The happiness is overflowing!”