1. The first same-sex marriage ceremonies took place in England and Wales today.
2. To mark the occasion Sandi and Debbie Toksvig decided to renew their vows, seven years after they entered a civil partnership.
3. Hundreds of people turned up at the Southbank Centre in London to help the happy couple celebrate.
4. The London Gay Men’s Choir kicked off proceedings with a beautiful rendition of “I’m Getting Married In The Morning”.
5. Which put everyone in the best possible mood.
6. And pretty much the whole audience was crying before the first song had even ended.
7. John McCarthy, who has been a family friend of Toksvigs for over 40 years, described the event as a “historic moment which will finally bring equality.”
8. Jude Kelly, the artistic director of the Southbank Centre, held back tears as she told us that “deep change happens through love.”
9. She read a letter from Jóhanna Sigurðardóttir, the former Prime Minister of Iceland, who was the first out lesbian to lead a nation.
10. The choir sang as the Toksvigs’ family and friends took to their seats.
11. And as they sang, they looked out upon a sea of smiling faces.
12. Literally everyone was in a good mood.
13. Everyone was just so happy.
14. By this point, it was time for Sandi to enter the stage.
15. Sandi was led by her gorgeous daughter, Megan.
16. Megan was Sandi’s Best Woman.
17. And she was the proudest Best Woman the world has ever seen.
Once everyone was seated, Debbie’s daughter Mary gave the most delightful speech.