Recently, Reddit user Mrs_B1979 asked r/AskReddit, "Instead of discussing toxic masculinity, what does positive masculinity look like?" Here are some of the best, most heartwarming answers:
1. "When I went to the gym after being sick all week, the most BUFF superhuman who I saw almost every time I went to work out walked up to me and said, 'Where were you, bro? I hope you didn't decide to change gyms!'"
2. "Being a great and present dad."
3. "Realizing that you can be strong and still be kind. In fact, the greatest display of strength is to have power and not use it."
4. "I think being able to process negative feelings and energy shows a ton of power and is an example of positive masculinity."
5. "Being confident and trusting in yourself so much that you feel safe doing things that are considered non-masculine."
6. "Being protective, but leaving space for the people you protect to learn to be their own first line of protection."
7. "Treating women (and nonbinary individuals) with the same respect you treat men, which should be the utmost, because all people deserve respect and dignity."
8. "Knowing that going to therapy and getting help doesn't make you any less of a man."
9. "When I was in high school, I cut my finger and my teacher only had princess Band-Aids so I had to use one. In my next class, the guy sitting next to me said my Band-Aid looked sick and he wanted one too."
10. "I, a 24-year-old adult male, got lost at night walking to a train station my first time alone in NYC. I walked right up to the two BIGGEST guys I could find on the street and told them that I was lost and nervous, and they were kind enough to safely escort me to the train."
11. "Looking after your friends, especially your guy friends. Women seem to look out for each other in ways that men are taught not to."
12. "Knowing that force doesn't have to be physical. Like if you see someone berating someone else, you could talk them down without having to get to their level and yelling."
13. "Using your assertive, dominant male testosterone to help the elderly put groceries in their car."
14. "Expressing your affection for those you care about. Men can have platonic male friends and still hug them hello and goodbye. That's allowed!"
15. "Just being aware and self-reflective about your effect on those around you, and looking to improve and communicate."
16. "Positive masculinity lifts other people up to accomplish their best. It says that you can accomplish your goals, and you have everything you need to do so."
Answers have been edited for length and/or clarity.