1. For starters, no one chooses to be born with either a lot or very little capacity to concentrate.
2. It's totally possible to really like someone and still have trouble paying attention to EVERYthing they say or do.
3. After all, what's distracted is their absentminded head, NEVER their heart. <3
4. So much so that their most common reaction to getting called out on not paying attention to someone is "BUT WHAT DID I DO???"
5. If there's one emotional mind game that will never work with the easily-distracted it's the old "You know why I'm angry" gambit.
6. Because a lot of the time, they don't even realize that someone is angry, and are even less likely to be guessing why.
7. Unfortunately, it's not going to be possible for them to just "put in a little effort" to stop being distracted, because that's not how things work.
8. Things work more like this: "Right, now I'm going to pay attention like crazy and nothing will distract me, because NOW I'm totally focused on... hey, what's that?"
9. Seemingly simple things, like watching a movie, take much longer for the distracted than for ordinary human beings.
10. The distracted brain is such an SOB that it prefers to stare at absolutely nothing than to pay attention to what it should be doing.
11. But none of this comes from a lack of consideration or interest!
12. So, to all those who still like them, despite their having their heads in the clouds, the distracted extend their deepest gratitude and appreciation.
This post was translated from Portuguese.