1. A mom who suffered nine miscarriages before giving birth to her three children has created a beautiful photograph to honor one of the babies she lost.
2. Victoria Doyle is a full-time newborn photographer in the U.K. and the mom of Darcy, 8, Jenson, 5, and Blake, 2.
She told BuzzFeed News that she had a long and difficult road to motherhood, and along the way had a total of nine miscarriages. One of those miscarriages occurred nine years ago, when she was four months pregnant.
“Although it was a long nine years ago I feel that lump in my throat and ache in my heart every time I think about it,” she wrote on Facebook.
4. Last year, Doyle took a few photos of her children with an autumn theme.
When she looked at the photo later, she noticed it appeared as if her son Jensen was holding hands with someone who wasn’t there.
“Weird as it may sound, I parked that photo on my desktop for the last year not knowing what to do with it,” she said.
5. But then, Doyle said she had an idea as to how to make the photo even more special. She decided to turn it into a tribute to the child she lost at four months nine years ago by adding an “apparition” to the image.
“The thing is he/she would have been 9 now and taller than Darcy, so I wanted the little figure to have a ‘playful’ feel about them,” she said.
6. Doyle decided to post the new image to the page for her photography business, Blue Bean Photography, in honor of Baby Loss Awareness Week. Many commenters commended her on her bravery in sharing her story.
7. She said she wanted to share her story because its an issue many families go through, but few talk about publicly.
“I think it is important to try and increase understanding of pregnancy and infant death, an issue that a lot of us avoid talking about predominantly through fear and discomfort,” she said.