1. Be heartfelt
Ott Lepland of Estonia is a star from a TV talent show in 2009, in his native country, so with lyrics like “Listen – my heart has a voice” and “Wait – the light remains within us”, you’ll get the ladies to interest in this. Also “Kuula” does translate as “Listen”
2. Don’t blag about Social Networking
OK, Facebook’s IPO was a disaster, so it’s no surprise what this song was about from Valentina Monetta of San Marino (in case your wondering, it’s gridlocked inside Italy). This entry failed to qualify from the first semi-finals, finishing in 14th place.
3. Choose your wardrobe wisely, this isn’t it…
Joan Franka thought it was a good idea to spice up an accoustic performance with a “Cowboys & Indians” theme, it didn’t pay-off. The Netherlands (or Holland whichever you call it) have yet to qualify for the Eurovision finals on eight occations in a row, this ended up 15th place in the second semi finals.
4. Make sure your rapping doesn’t suck
If you like rap, you won’t like this entry from Montenegro, even if it’s about the Euro. Despite winning numorous awards (including the theme to the movie ‘Boomerang’) Rambo Amadeus didn’t qualify from the first semi-finals, finishing in 15th place.
5. Make sure the lyrics are appropriate, not sexist
Pretty sure the translation for this entry from Austria is NSFW, especially if you have children around. With lyrics like “Let’s go, shake your booty, Shake your ooh - ooh, Let’s go, shake your booty, Yeah, yeah - that’s how I like it…” it makes it put off for women. This finished in last (18th) place from the first semi-finals.
6. Don’t go for a song that’ll put people to sleep
If it’s Engelbert Humperdinck of the United Kingdom, …what was it again? This entry ended up in 25th place (second from last) in the finals.
7. Go for a powerful ballad, as a duet
Gréta Salóme & Jónsi of Iceland have the right formula for an epic song.
8. Don’t go over-the-top
Sadly, Tooji from Norway ended up with the woodern spoon, in last place, probably explain this…
9. Respect the senior citizens
OK, Buranovskiye Babushki (or Buranovo Grannies) of Russia’s singing maybe all over the place, but they’re loveable, they finished second in the finals and they’re getting a lot of media attention too…
10. Finally… Make sure everybody likes it
This dance entry from Loreen of Sweden has the right formula, and won it for her own country. Enjoy this song, looks like she’ll have worldwide success…
- Politics in France were redrawn Sunday as pro-EU Macron and far-right Le Pen advanced to a runoff in the country's presidential election 🇫🇷
- US Attorney General Jeff Sessions said Sunday that DREAMers, like "everyone that enters the country unlawfully," are "subject to deportation."
- North Korea has arrested a third American citizen amid a dramatic escalation in tensions with the United States.
- Drag queens, puppies, and Lisa Rinna — BuzzFeed News got a behind the scenes look of "Watch What Happens Live."