1. Archie Comic’s upcoming issue will feature a gay kiss, but that isn’t the end of the story.
According to the AP, Archie Comics will feature Kevin Keller kissing his boyfriend, Devon, in the No. 10 issue released this Aug. 7. The kiss will supposedly draw the attention of one disapproving Riverdale mom, who begins to throw a fit. Dan Parent, who writes and draws the upcoming issue, explains, “Kevin is kind of used to that, but Veronica records the whole thing and of course uploads it to the Riverdale equivalent of YouTube and that starts a bit of a debate.”
2. The inspiration for the storyline came after a previous controversy with the organization One Million Moms.
One Million Moms asked Toys R Us not to display “Life With Archie” No. 16 near its checkout aisles. The particular issue in question showed Kevin getting married. Toys R Us ignored the protest and went forward to run the comic in stores.
Parent called the new story a “playful poke” at the protest. The CEO and publisher of the strip, Jon Goldwater, added that in fact any kiss shown in the comic is a big step forward. “There aren’t that many on-panel kisses in the pages of Archie, but you often see the lipstick on Archie’s face afterward,” he said.
3. Get it Kevin!
- More than two dozen people were injured after a car crashed into a crowd at a Mardi Gras parade on Saturday, New Orleans police said.
- President Trump said he will skip the White House correspondents' dinner. Yesterday, he called the media "the enemy of the people."
- Tom Perez has been named chair of the Democratic National Committee. He was Obama's Labor Secretary.
- Here's the beef: Rapper Remy Ma dragged Nicki Minaj in a new diss track, who fired back with a Beyoncé endorsement 😱