Years ahead of her time, let this woman be your source of inspiration today (and all days, really):
1. When she was only 16-years-old she reminded us that if it’s your party, you can damn well cry if you want to:
3. She rallied women to tell the men in their lives: You don’t own me.
“It was probably the first song that talked to guys like that and the first time girls had this opportunity to go, `If she’s saying it, maybe it’s OK for me to think this way,’” Gore said of the song in 1994.
4. Which would create this glorious moment in history:
5. Oh, and this one too:
The 2012 PSA video features Miranda July, Sia, Lena Dunham, and countless other female celebs lip-syncing to “You Don’t Own Me” in a campaign to bring awareness to women’s rights in the upcoming presidential election.
7. Taking classes at Sarah Lawrence College, she valued her education and put it before her career:
“Well, I basically did not go on tour unless it was a holiday or summer. I pretty much tried to maintain as normal an educational schedule as possible. So there were times I would work on the weekends but maybe I would have to skip a Friday class to get there. But I stayed in school most of the week.” – 2005 Interview
9. Gore constantly strived to live an open and honest life:
“I just kind of lived my life naturally and did what I wanted to do. I didn’t avoid anything, I didn’t put it in anybody’s face. Times were very different then, so, you know, I just tried to live as normally as humanly possible. But as truthfully as humanly possible.” – 2005 Interview
10. She later wouldn’t hesitate to call out the music industry on its homophobic attitude:
13. She saw the importance of women having strong female mentors in their lives:
“I had many people that I idolized who were singers like Sarah Vaughan and Dinah Washington, but these weren’t exactly women I could call up every day and say, Hey, how’s it going, you know?
So I didn’t have a woman mentor until many years later—many, many years later when I became friendly with Bella Abzug. She kind of mentored me as to what’s important for women and where to put my energies in terms of gay women, and what I could best do to help women in our community and children. And that’s pretty much what I live by now, pretty much where I like to concentrate my efforts. You can only bite off so much, so you gotta know what you want to do” – 2005 interview
Now, grab a hairbrush and get in front of your mirror:
- Politics in France were redrawn Sunday as pro-EU Macron and far-right Le Pen advanced to a runoff in the country's presidential election 🇫🇷
- Trump still hasn't taken a foreign trip. Obama traveled to nine countries and Bush had visited two at this same point in their presidencies.
- North Korea has arrested a third American citizen amid a dramatic escalation in tensions with the United States.
- Drag queens, puppies, and Lisa Rinna — BuzzFeed News got a behind the scenes look of "Watch What Happens Live with Andy Cohen."