2. Endemic to New Zealand, it’s actually the world’s only nocturnal, flightless parrot.
5. A relic of a bygone age when it had no predators, it is the rarest parrot on Earth.
7. And his mate Mark Carwardine, a zoologist who found himself the object of a lusty kakapo’s affections in an infamous BBC nature documentary.
Frisky. Very frisky.
9. Actor and heart-throb Benedict Cumberbatch is a fan too.
13. Unable to fly, the kakapo has plenty of time to bulk up, making it the world’s heaviest parrot.
Kakapos weigh up to 4kg.
Kakapos can weigh up to 4kg.
Watch Mark Carwardine being shagged by a kakapo here.
Want even more kakapos? Don’t miss this.
An earlier version of this post did not cite a source for Sirocco’s social media activity.