Mel and Sue will not just be missed because of their puns and their positivity. It's the fact that they constantly comfort the bakers when they're emotional.
1. Who could forget when Dorret's bake melted last year and Sue said: "It's just a cake. It's just a cake?"
2. And when Ruby's creme patisserie curdled at the very start of series four and Sue comforted her:
3. And then there's this series. At the start of the first Showstopper, Benjamina started to cry when her mirror glaze cake was not working. Sue said:
4. It's not just Sue who does this. Here's Mel supporting Andrew when he was a little bit unconfident about making a herb fougasse.
5. Mel has also done a "pull yourself to together" speech to Benjamina, just using different words.
6. Then there was Candice, who had dyed her meringue green for some reason and was desperately trying to rectify it with a blowtorch.
7. And when Jane was having a bit of a tizzy when she was worried that her gelatin had not set properly.
8. When Tom wasn't happy with his Millionaires Roulade, Mel said Mary's infamous catchphrase to him.
9. When Andrew cracked the topping of his meringue, Mel made this poignant vow.
10. And, most importantly, they comfort every baker who leaves. You can tell they really care.
In an interview with The Telegraph last year, Sue Perkins said that both her and Mel were against using sob stories and manufactured X Factor drama from the very first episode of Bake Off.
Maybe they cry because their soufflé collapsed, but nobody’s crying because someone’s going 'Does this mean a lot about your grandmother?’ Many of the bakers have sad stories, but guess what? We never touch on any of them.