28 Important Ways To Teach Kids To Have a Healthy Body Image
To help you raise kids who respect all bodies, including their own.
1. Don't insult anyone's body, even in jest.
2. Don't do anything you wouldn't want your kid to do.
3. Try to not to use gendered compliments.
4. Send the message that every body is different and that's OK.
5. Teach them how to find beauty everywhere.
6. Send the message that self-confidence isn't vain.
7. Let them know how much you love your own body.
8. Dole out compliments that aren't just about appearance — especially when it comes to women.
9. Think about how it might make you feel if your parent ridiculed their own body in front of you.
"I always make sure I don't say things around my daughter such as 'I feel fat today,' 'My hair looks bad,' or 'Wow, I wish my stomach were flatter.' I grew up with my mom saying those things, and her holding me up to the standards she grew up trying to fit into. As a result I've always been very self-conscious. I want to end that cycle with my daughter."
—Ally Sahr, Facebook