1. Springsteen opened the song announcing to the crowd “I want to send this one out as a letter back home. For justice for Trayvon Martin.”
2. The song was originally written in 2001 in response to the shooting death of Amadou Diallo, a 23-year-old who was shot 41 times by NYPD officers.
3. The refrain of the song being especially poignant in light of the Trayvon Martin verdict:
Well, is it a gun, is it a knife
Is it a wallet, this is your life
It ain’t no secret (it ain’t no secret)
No secret my friend
You can get killed just for living in your American skin
4. Similarly, Stevie Wonder spoke to a crowd while performing in Quebec over the weekend, saying “we can let our voices be heard and vote in our various countries around the world for change and equality.”
5. This is not the first time Springsteen has dedicated this song to Trayvon Martin. Springsteen has been dedicating the song to Martin regularly since last year.
- The 2016 MTV VMAs are airing at 8 p.m. ET tonight. Here are all the nominees 📺🎵