5. But enough about you. Let’s talk about beavers. Did you know they used to be as big as bears?
Eight-foot tall giant beavers (Casteroides) roamed freely in North America during the last ice age. They’re thought to have weighed up to 220lb, and were roughly the size of a black bear.
6. This crow can recognise your face.
Crows can recognise the faces of humans who pose a threat to them or their habitat, and those memories can last a lifetime. Plus crows can live up to 15 years - so if you get into a fight with one, it might be time to start thinking about that moustache.
7. These crows might be talking about your haircut.
It’s now thought that crows have their own language - and that this language varies from region to region. They also make tools and play tricks on each other. Also, they still haven’t forgotten about you.
12. This island is crawling with deadly snakes, and going there will almost certainly kill you.
Ilha de Queimada Grande, off the coast of São Paulo in Brazil, is home to between one and five deadly golden lancehead vipers per square metre, and any attempts at human occupation have ended stickily. Basically, if you decide to visit, maybe stay on the boat?
14. Oh, didn’t I mention the tarantula hawk! It’s only a SPIDER-WASP that EATS TARANTULAS, which is the most chilling collection of words I have ever typed.
But before it eats the tarantula, the tarantula spider-wasp stuffs the tarantula with its own eggs, then buries it alive. Lovely.
Thanks, for the most part to this Reddit thread. And Mother Nature, obviously, who’s not at all twisted.