23 Things That Happen To You At A British Boarding School
Almost none of these involve discovering that you're a wizard.
1. You find yourself sharing a room with 15 girls called Saskia.
2. Or you're one of an army of Toms, Bens and Maxs.
3. None of that matters, though, because you're always called by your surname.
4. People keep asking you if your school is like Hogwarts.
5. Which is really annoying.
6. Because, if anything, it's more like Downton Abbey.
Seriously. Look at these boarding schools right here.
7. Despite this, boarding school life isn't as glamorous as you might expect. For a start, communal showers are a part of your life now.
8. And when a more experienced boarder shows you how to quickly origami a towel to protect your modesty, it changes your life.
9. You have to learn a whole new vocabulary.
10. This probably won't happen to you, sorry.
11. This might, though.
12. You don't understand what people from other schools mean by 'years'.
13. And the way the stairs constantly move around really confuses you.
14. Tuck shops. Tuck shops happen to you.
15. You completely lose touch with your favourite TV shows.
16. You stare wistfully out of the window as the day pupils go home, coveting their evening plans.
17. Meanwhile, you're grateful for any trips that take you out of school, no matter where they're to.
18. There's always an older boarder who will make it their job to look out for you.
19. Until you pay it forward to someone smaller and more scared than you.
20. In fact, you develop an amazing sibling bond with your fellow boarders.
21. And this closeness comes in especially useful when you sneak out after lights-out only to get caught by a prefect...
22. .... But the prefect turns out to be a boarder, too, and lets you off.