1. Remember in 1998 when a fresh-faced youngster burst onto the scene and graced us all with these long blonde locks?
2. Then posed in a hammock. (???)
3. And then it turned out he was pretty good at tennis. Like, really good.
4. He even helped us win the Davis Cup. Twice.
5. Then he started dating Kim Clijsters and she quickly became ~Aussie Kim~.
6. He introduced the world to this gesture.
7. Seriously he did that a lot.
9. It must have worked, because he just kept winning. Like at the US Open in 2001.
10. And Wimbledon in 2002.
11. And he climbed into the stands to celebrate, just like Pat Cash, the last Aussie to win at Wimbledon, did in 1987.
12. He won the Tennis Masters Cup. Twice.
13. He became the youngest ever world number 1.
14. By now he was a bit of an Australian hero.
15. We even put him on a stamp.
16. Soon he started dating ~golden girl~ Bec Cartwright.
17. So obviously, he achieved the highest possible honour for an Australian: A guest spot on Home And Away.
18. Then they revealed they were engaged on Today Tonight, as you do.
19. Pretty soon they got married at the Opera House. Like royalty.
20. And Bec reportedly wrote this poem for Lleyton.
"I really don't know where to start
but I definitely know you've captured my heart,
It started that night you called me up,
to see if I'd play in the Starlight Cup
Way back then, little did we know,
That our love for one another could grow and grow,
A text message or two is what kept us in touch
And I want you to know that I love you so much
It wasn't'til late in 2004
That I received another phone call
When we decided to meet,Advertisement:
we went up the street for something to eat,
From that day on I've been by your side
And look at me now,
I am here as your bride!
I used to wish upon a star
that I'd meet the perfect husband
- and here you are!
You're an inspiration to so many including me,
Anyone whose ever met you can count
I'm so lucky I've found the one,
Being with you I have nothing but fun,
You are my best friend and my dream come true
And I'm so glad to be sharing all this with you
This is only the start of our dream together,
But I promise to love you until forever
I can't wait to start my life with you,
Just being together, our dreams will come true
I have no doubt I'm glad to be your wife,
And being with me is now a part of your life
I admire you for so many reasons,
I mean look at what happened at the Four Seasons!
We're about to experience the miracle of life,
but always remember I'm so proud to be your wife,
Having a family with you makes me so glad,
I know I'll never get sad,
Thanks so much for choosing me,
By sticking together we'll make a great family
Engaged and then married and now one on the way,
I'll take such good care of you every day,
It's safe to say I'll love you more and more
And marrying you today, I couldn't be more sure.
Rebecca Hewitt! I'm your wife!
I promise you one thing, stick with me and you'll have a bloody good life!"